Dr. Richard Sills of Dr. Sills & Associates in Fort Myers, FL answers common questions about the Optomap Retinal Camera.
1) Please describe what the Optomap is used for and give a basic sense of how it works.
Optomap is used to detect a number of diseases that often are first seen in the retina.
2) What components, or how much, of the retina does this look at and give imaging for?
It simply takes a picture of your eye. The Optomap shows 200 degrees of the retina.
3) What types of eye diseases and disorders can be discovered?
Cancer, high blood pressure, macular degeneration, retinal detachment, glaucoma, and diabetes
4) What is it about this particular technology that you find most exciting; the component that made you feel you need to invest in this for your practice?
Optomap shows more of the retina which helps detect tumors and retinal detachments and other diseases sooner than any other technology
5) Can you describe the patient experience when using the Optomap?
It is fast, painless, and comfortable for patients and they are amazed to see images of their own retina.
6) Do the patients that walk through your doors day in and day out, appreciate the upgrade in technology?
Patients love this technology and are just amazed by it.
7) How does this technology improve comprehensive eye exams compared to the days when we did not have Optomap Retinal Imaging?
We see diseases earlier and therefore can treat conditions sooner and often can prevent worsening of the patient's vision
8) To what patients do you recommend using the Optomap?
We recommend all patients get screened with the Optomap.
9) Are there certain feelings or vision issues that a person may notice that would point to the need for Retinal Imaging?
Yes, especially any symptoms of floaters or flashing lights.
10) Can you share a particular story in which, by using the Optomap, you were able to detect and treat a disease that would have otherwise gone undetected?
Yes, we have detected tumors and retinal detachments that might have otherwise have gone undetected.
11) Why did you choose this supplier to purchase this particular piece of equipment?
This is the only supplier that has this technology.